Most people don't think much about their home insurance, but the 3 most common things people forget to include are...
Flood, for insurance purposes, is defined as a body of water rising. Period. This is often confused with a pipe bursting and "flooding" a basement or any other damage caused by a lot of water.
If you are in a potential flood zone you should secure flood insurance.
For the other issues some general tips....
- make sure all pipes are in good repair - have your sewer line routinely scoped
- leave heat on when traveling to prevent pipes freezing - insurance carriers won't cover pipes bursting because the heat was turned off
- have people check on your home when you are out of town - subsequent damage caused due to lengthy time before discovery is not covered by insurance and can be spendy!
- check draining, seals, slopes, gutters, etc. to make sure things are clean/maintained/adequate. Insurance won't cover damage
- check into backup of sewer/drain coverage. If you have appliances in the basement or a finished basement it is TOTALLY worth adding this coverage
Earthquake insurance is becoming more and more common as fears of "the big one" increase. A few notes on earthquake insurance...
We have carriers that will go down to 2.5% deductible at a reasonable cost.
Want an agent that will make sure things are set up correctly?
Insurance Masters NW
434 NE KNOTT STREET STE 210
Find me at BrokerCheck.
Securities offered through First Heartland ® Capital, Inc. Member FINRA & SIPC. Insurance Masters NW is not affiliated with First Heartland Capital, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Insurance Masters NW - All Rights Reserved.
IMNW is an affiliate of Chambers Bay & Avenue Ins.