Most people don't think much about their home insurance, but the 3 most common things people forget to include are...
Flood, for insurance purposes, is defined as a body of water rising. Period. This is often confused with a pipe bursting and "flooding" a basement or any other damage caused by a lot of water.
If you are in a potential flood zone you should secure flood insurance.
For the other issues some general tips....
- make sure all pipes are in good repair - have your sewer line routinely scoped
- leave heat on when traveling to prevent pipes freezing - insurance carriers won't cover pipes bursting because the heat was turned off
- have people check on your home when you are out of town - subsequent damage caused due to lengthy time before discovery is not covered by insurance and can be spendy!
- check draining, seals, slopes, gutters, etc. to make sure things are clean/maintained/adequate. Insurance won't cover damage
- check into backup of sewer/drain coverage. If you have appliances in the basement or a finished basement it is TOTALLY worth adding this coverage
Earthquake insurance is becoming more and more common as fears of "the big one" increase. A few notes on earthquake insurance...
We have carriers that will go down to 2.5% deductible at a reasonable cost.
Want an agent that will make sure things are set up correctly?
Insurance Masters NW
3303 N Mississippi Ave. Suite 511 Portland, OR 97227
Find me at BrokerCheck.
Securities offered through First Heartland ® Capital, Inc. Member FINRA & SIPC. Insurance Masters NW is not affiliated with First Heartland Capital, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Insurance Masters NW - All Rights Reserved.
IMNW is an affiliate of Chambers Bay & Avenue Ins.